Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: Horns Up Rocks does not consciously breach any copyright regulations. If you are a holder and would like something to be removed from our site, please email us at info@hornsuprocks.com and we will gladly oblige.

Monday, May 24, 2010

SLIPKNOT: Original, Unmatched and Dangerous!


It was 1999, and I remember going to a record store in Bonn, Germany, called Mr. Music. This is were I spent most of my allowance during my high school years. My brother Igor and I would go there weekly, since the store clerk (Swen) was always hooking us up with new killer music. In one of those visits Swen pulled out the first Slipknot VHS, which is titled "Welcome To Our Neighborhood". He tells me in a thick German accent: "Joseph, you have to check this out! It will blow your mind away!"

As soon as I got home, I sneaked into my parents room while my mom was running some errands and watched the tape over and over again. I couldn't believe my eyes, not only were this guys scary looking and intriguing. But they sounded like an orchestra from hell. "Welcome To Our Neighborhood" contains footage from their first appearance at Ozzfest, as well as one on one interviews with the band. This was back when Ozzfest was a full-blown tour and it travelled all over the country. In other words, Ozzfest gave Slipknot their big break!

After watching this video every day after school, one day Igor calls me and says: "Joe, Slipknot is playing in Cologne and we have to go!" It was a Friday in the Fall of 1999, and the day we had been so eagerly waiting for, had finally arrived. To be honest, I had a feeling of fear and excitement of what I was about to experience. After strolling through town, we finally arrived at the suburbs of Cologne. We went inside this small club, called "The Kantine". The club was packed and everyone was pumped to see Slipknot!

As soon as the lights were dimmed and the Intro for Sic started, the place erupted! The band members start coming out, one by one. I remember that the stage was too small for 9 insane guys plus all their instruments, to be on that stage at the same time. As a result, the guys kept bumping into each other. This also meant that they kept knocking equipment down, which made the sound horrendous! All this elements only made the band angrier and the fans were feeding from that aggression. As a result, everyone went ape shit during their entire set. I think I lost my mind that night, and never got it back.

After the show we met and hung out with most of the band and they were some of the coolest artists I have ever met. I immediately was hooked to Slipknot's musical power and ever since that day I consider Slipknot one of my favorite bands. I had the chance to catch their first show ever at Madison Square Garden (hopefully not their last), which was also my first time at The Garden, and that performance definitely went on the record books.

The Heavy Metal community is in shock, after hearing about the death of Paul Gray from Slipknot. I honestly don't see Slipknot continuing without Paul, simply because what makes Slipknot so special, is the contribution of each and every single band member. Regardless, of what happens with Slipknot, our thoughts and prayers are with Paul's family and the entire Slipknot camp. So crank up some Slipknot and lose your mind! \m/


THIS IS DEDICATED TO PAUL GREY! RIP!!! \M/

No comments: