Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: Horns Up Rocks does not consciously breach any copyright regulations. If you are a holder and would like something to be removed from our site, please email us at info@hornsuprocks.com and we will gladly oblige.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Vinnie Paul Talks Metal, Football & Hockey During ESPN Online Chat - Full Transcript Available!

Yesterday (November 29th), Pantera co-founder and current drummer for Hellyeah, Vinnie Paul, stopped by ESPN to answer fan questions about The Life's "Alice in Chains & Friends Fantasy Football Charity League," which features some of Rock music's biggest stars, his music career and much more! Here is a complete transcript this online event.

LeAnne (Washington):

Hi Vinnie! How's your fantasy team doing and who are your top players?

VP:

My fantasy football team has fallen to .500. I still have a chance to get to the playoffs. My top guns have gotten hurt. Matt Schaub. McFadden was my top guy for a while but he's been out. I hope to hang in there and make it to the playoffs.

Bill (Toronto):

Love your work Vinnie. I am just wondering, which current athlete has the proper mentality to be a rock n roll drummer?

VP:

Well, I don't know if he could be a drummer because he's so big, but Randy Johnson is a big heavy metal fan. With his passion and drive, I think he could make a helluva heavy metal drummer.

Jordan Simpson (Albany, NY):

How can i help and support your cause?

VP:

It's called Little Kids Rock. I'm sure you can go to their website and make donations. They do a lot of good work to keep music alive. It's not something that schools focus on like back in the day. It's a way for kids to get instruments and keep the flame alive.

Paul (Denver, CO):

Vinnie, who is your favorite player to draft for fantasy?

VP:

The last few years in my other league I got lucky enough to get Aaron Rodgers. I think he's been putting up close to 40 points per game. If you can get him or Brady or Drew Brees, that's a good place to start.

Keith Gordon (Jacksonville, Florida):

What did you and Dime do to protect your ears (hearing) with such a strict practice regiment as kids and then through touring 300+ dates a year for years and years? I never saw either of you wear ear plugs/ear protection. Is there a secret like how Eddie Van Halen kept his guitar in tune without a locking tremolo.

VP:

Man, we just have to go for it. It just ain't the same with anything in or ear protection. I'm lucky that I still have my hearing. I like it loud. It sounds like a freight train back there.

Bart Ryan Seltzer (Sunrise, FL):

Vinnie, who is your top five favorite Dallas Cowboys players?

VP:

I'm from Texas, I lived there my entire life. I bleed blue and silver. I've always been a huge fan. We're in first place in the NFC East right now. We'll see what happens in the playoffs. Back in the day Randy White was one of my favorites. Tony Dorsett. Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Irvin. Now, Romo, Miles Austin. I think we have a really good coach and are moving forward.

John (Fort worth):

If Vinnie's team makes it to the fantasy championship, will there be a watching party for the day? If so, where will it be, will Vinnie be cooking & who would he want there to root his team on?

VP:

Ah, man, if I make it I'm going to be the last seed and I'll have to play Jerry. We're really good friends. He was just here for Thanksgiving. If we play, I'll have to have him back.

Ian (Ray):

Hey Vinnie, I wanted to ask you, when will any of the extra Pantera and Damageplan tracks that you have recorded see the light of day?

VP:

Yeah, we're about to do the 20th anniversary and it will include a track that was meant for that record. We're really excited for that.

Chase (Raleigh North Carolina):

Vinny what's up dude, I know you're a huge Cowboys fan, but do you really think Tony Romo can lead ya'll to a Super Bowl win?

VP:

He certainly has the talent. If he can stop making boneheaded mistakes in crucial moments, he'll be fine. He's talented. He can do it.

Tyler (Athens,GA):

Vinnie Can Georgia pull off the upset this weekend in Atlanta?

VP:

I think LSU is pretty unstoppable. I think barring any craziness that can happen, I think LSU will go all of the way and win the whole thing, that's a bummer for me because I'm a UT fan, Hook 'Em Horns, but that team is a pro team in college.

Nathan (Phoenix):

Vinnie, Huge fan of your Music and Drumming!! I was wondering what drummers did you look up to when you were just starting out?

VP:

I had a pretty wide variety of influences. KISS, Van Halen, Tommy Aldridge, who played with a lot of bands.

Seth Rabin (Buffalo Grove, IL):

Hey Big Vin! Who had the biggest shoes to fill, Danny White or Jimmy Johnson?

VP:

Hmmmmmm....Danny White never won the Super Bowl. Jimmy won two and we would have won four or five in a row and kept the team in tact. He demanded discipline. Danny had big shoes to fill after following Roger. He broke all of his records, but never won the Super Bowl, so he didn't get the accolades.

Kevin (CT):

Would Jared Allen make for a good roadie?

VP:

Jared Allen is a mad man and it would be awesome to have him out on tour. We could definitely use him on the Cowboys. He's awesome. He's a fan favorite.

Bran Pierson (Fallon, NV):

Vinnie. You are one great drummer who has seen difficult times and overcame them. Which player that is going through difficult times do you think will reach the top?

VP:

I think Josh Hamilton. Amazingly talented person. He was strung out and his life was completely ruined and became one of the best baseball players in the American League.

Elen (NYC):

NFL is No. 1? Any other sports>?

VP:

Hockey. NHL and football are tied. I used to only think that NHL didn't exist. When the Dallas Stars moved to Texas, I became a fan. I love both of those sports equally.

Kado (West Bloomfield Michigan):

Do you think a 2 game suspension was reasonable for Ndamukong Suh from the Detroit lions?

VP:

I'm a fan of the real nasty gritty play, but when it's cheap it's not good. He has a pattern of this so it's probably good for him to sit down for a couple of games.

Alex (Charlotte, NC):

I know you are in Hellyeah with Bob. Do you still hang out with Pat too?

VP:

I haven't seen Pat in quite some time. I hope he's doing well.

Jeff (RI):

Get back to Texas much? Tour here soon?

VP:

I'm in Texas right now. I've been here since May since we've been working on the new record. Yeah, I have a home in Las Vegas now and I go between the two places. I won't see home much at all next year when we go on tour.

Teddy (Hendersonville, NC):

How many drum kits do u have?

VP:

At one time, I probably owned 30. A lot of them have been given to the Hard Rock cafe's around the world. At this time. I probably have 15 or so.

Robert Murdoch (Northwest Territories, Canada):

Is that ur real beard???

VP:

Absolutely.

Brian Turrill (Ypsilanti Mi):

What do you think of the Detroit Lions this year?

VP:

Well, they had a great turnaround for 6 games and have turned around to the old Lions for the last 5-6 games. Don't get too excited.

Chase (Raleigh, North Carolina):

I have a question about your playing days with Pantera, what was you're favorite venue that you played with PanterA?

VP:

Well, always playing in my hometown of Dallas was huge. Anywhere in the Midwest we got super fired up, Detroit, Chicago, I don't know what they put in the water there, they always got super fired up there. The Midwest kills it.

John (Chicago):

What age did you start drumming, and did you take any music training or did it come naturally for you?

VP:

I started off at 14, seventh grade band. I played in the drumline. I self taught the drum set, but I learned the basic style of drumming.

Seth Rabin (Buffalo Grove, IL):

Have you ever met any Cowboys players, past or present?

VP:

Oh yeah. Tons of them. Always super cool. It was nice to bash out some heavy metal with some of those guys.

Pelado (Argentina):

Hi Vinnie, are you coming to Argentina? Please come! We are looking forward.

VP:

We definitely set out to become an international band with Hellyeah. Unfortunately we didn't make it to Argentina last year, but we plan to get down there very soon.

Ross (Scotland):

How much did you end up selling your oven for on eBay?

VP:

Absolutely awesome. I was able to get $1500 for something that doesn't work. It was just sitting on the side of the room. I signed it and some guy from Seattle came out to pick it up. I thought it was pretty cool.

Cam Childers (Ft. Worth):

What do you think about the Rangers doing it again next year, Big Vin?

VP:

Well, I think we had it hook, line and sinker and let it get away. We blew it completely to San Francisco. It's a tough road, but with our division, I think there's a chance. If they manage to get there, they have to pull it off. The third time is the charm.

Victoria (Philly):

Just want you to know the Flyers are gonna tear your Stars up on the 21st! Love everything you do and you'd better make it to Philly!

VP:

Well, all I can say is you have a better chance of beating us now that Leihtonen is out. If you want to beat us, you better now.

Chris Pait (Clarksville, IN):

Hey Vinnie bro ! Do u think that the KC Chiefs made the dumbest decision by starting a QB that's never played in a NFL game! After 4 game winning streak ? Matt Cassel is out, but i think they could of made a better choice!

VP:

It's a tough game. They make all of this stuff about a defenseless WR. I don't know about that. The only player that is defenseless is the QB. They make the big money because of that. You better take your linemen out to dinner. That's all I have to say!


Thanks for all of the support through all of the years. Thanks for the support of my brother and never letting his legacy die. I'm really excited for this new record. It's a really slamming new record. It will be out around May of next year. We look forward to seeing you out on tour next year!

Related links:
Click here to submit your questions!
Pantera
Hellyeah

No comments: