Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: Horns Up Rocks does not consciously breach any copyright regulations. If you are a holder and would like something to be removed from our site, please email us at info@hornsuprocks.com and we will gladly oblige.

Monday, November 1, 2010

Rhythmical Precision with Dave Lombardo

When it comes to drumming techniques, there are very few drummers that can deliver every hit with so much precision and technique, like Slayer's Dave Lombardo does. What started as a hobby soon became the key to a successful career. Apart from his work with Slayer, Lombardo has merged into other musical genres and has managed to leave his drumming trademark in every project he has been part of. What sets Dave Lombardo apart is his diverse style, which is a result of his extensive musical taste.

Recently, our friends over at Music Photocalypse caught up with Dave Lombardo at the Sonisphere Festival in Finland to discuss Lombardo's role as Slayer's drummer, and also his many side projects. Also discussed are his kids’ musical tastes, his collaboration with Mike Patton from Faith No More, and much more. Without further due, here is an interview with one of the best drummers in the history of Rock N’ Roll.

Slayer has gone from getting no recognition by regular radio and television, to performing on national programs like Jimmy Kimmel Live. Do you feel that this is something Slayer earned after so many years of hard work, or is it something that the band would rather not have happening?

Dave: I think it is earned, because we have worked hard. We have not gone away, we have not been lazy. We have always kept doing what we liked to do, and also doing what felt right to us.

A lot of people work better with the pressure of a deadline. You guys actually wrote most of “World Painted Blood” album in the studio. Did this add more pressure to the band thus affecting the band’s creativity?

Dave: I think it improved the creativity of the band. It did not put any pressure on anybody. I think, what it did – it just made us work harder together, instead of, you know, knowing that there was enough time and you argue and you know, things break down, whatever, musically. But it did not happen this time, this time we all worked together.

What about the visual concept of the album? When we saw the promo video about the guy killing women to create a copy of his mother from their body parts, we were definitely shocked.

Dave: I do not like it at all. But that is the part of the arts of SLAYER. But it is not something I like too much. I think it could have been done in a different way.

A lot of drummers constantly practice to progress. I’ve heard that you do not practice at home and you also do not warm up before the shows. How do you manage to be so precise?


Dave: Well, I have a different kind of philosophy. When I go to practice with the band, let’s say a week before we go on tour, every day that I practice is a day that I am warmed up. So if I played yesterday, why do I need to warm up today, when I am already strong from the day before? I think sometimes you tire yourself out. I tire myself out, why would I do this? I will sit like this before I go on stage (pretends to sit on a drum throne), maybe I will stretch a little bit, but just stretching, not doing any kind of drumming.

Since you joined Slayer, how did your approach to drumming change, comparing the beginning of SLAYER’s history and when you came back after being away for 10 years?

Dave: I feel like the stuff I did before “Decade Of Aggression” was very immature. I think the stuff that I am playing now is more mature, it is a little better, and it is structured better. The drum rolls have a little more flavor than before. Back then they were cut up thoughtless. But some people don’t agree with that. They think that those old records are good, which I agree, they are good, but they could have been better.

What is the biggest difference between playing with SLAYER and playing with other bands?

Dave: Slayer’s music is more physical, it is more like I am going to the gym. With other bands, if we take Fantômas for example, which is Mike Patton’s band that I play in, it is very different – that music is very thought-out. You have to really think about what you are going to do.

Speaking of Fantômas, how did that come about and how does it feel to work with Mike Patton?

Dave: Mike Patton is great, he is a genius. I love working with that guy! We have always known what each other is working on. Me and Mike Bordin (the drummer of Faith No More), we are fans of each other’s work, so we always said hi to each other, we knew each other. Patton was a Slayer fan, well, still is into Slayer. Faith No More played their last show in Los Angeles and I went there and Patton approached me like 3 months later after I met him at that show. He approached me and asked me if I wanted to play in a band that he was putting together. He explained the music and I said “I understand what you want”.

So of all the projects and bands that you have played with, which is the most interesting one?

Dave: Fantômas.

Well, that is quite understandable. I’ve heard that you are working on a solo percussion album, how is that going?

Dave: Slow [laughs] I can’t finish it. It is like I want to finish it so bad, but I can’t for some reason. I have all my stuff with me, my little studio travels with me, but I just can’t. When I am flying almost every other day, I am playing a show every day; it is very difficult to get into that mood.

Is it just percussion, or is there some accompanying music?

Dave: I call it drum music; to me it is like almost world music, a little bit like that. A little bit strange, it is more ambient, with soundtrack kind of music.

What do your kids listen to?

Dave: Muse, Circa Survive, The Fall of Troy, and more of modern Metal.
Are they into the music you are writing?

Dave: I don’t know. I played our CDs for them. But they are more into newer stuff that is coming out. And they introduced me to an awesome band by the way. You probably going to laugh, but do you know that “Black Parade” album?

The album by My Chemical Romance?

Dave: Yes. But it is a fantastic album! Ok the band… It is not really metal. But the album is really good. “American Idiot” by GREEN DAY – this one is also a fantastic album. My kids all love their music. So I really got into some of those albums. To me they are really good because they got solid musical structures, great songs and their music is good...

Is there any work that you have done in the past which you would redo if you had a chance?

Dave: Yeah, the DJ Spooky album, that rap-record I did. I wasn’t satisfied with it then. Maybe some of the playing could have been better.

Many musicians, especially vocalists and guitarists, in some kind of fit of honesty admit that they got into music mostly to get laid and to score with chicks. So what is the deal for drummers, because nobody can see them usually?

Dave: I know that is true. I think initially I got into music, because, of course, I wanted to be a rock star and it had to do with chicks…

So you have that too *laughs*

Dave: So yeah, I have that too.

But it is probably much easier for a vocalist to score chicks than a drummer…

Dave: Oh yeah, for a vocalist it’s easy, he could be 4 feet tall and not a great singer and he would still get all the chicks. But are you asking if it is easier for me? Sometimes.

Well, I don’t mean for you, but for drummers in general.

Dave: Yeah… Once they find out that it’s the drummer, then something happens.
Slayer has an image of being a cool tough band, but have you ever had any Spinal Tap moments?

Dave: All the time, like getting lost while getting off-stage. You know it is like “where do I go?” and I can’t find my way to the dressing room. That has happened to me. I started the wrong song, like we are playing a set on stage and I start the wrong song. One time with Fantômas I fell off my drum riser, things like that happen all the time. I fell off my drum riser, things like that happen all the time. \m/

Interview by: Tanja Caciur, Victoria Maksimovich from Music Photocalypse for Bravewords.com.

Here are some video of Dave Lombardo doing what he does best!







Pictures courtesy of Music Photocalypse and Damien Maurer (Almost Famous Photography)

Related links:
Official site of SLAYER
Music Photocalypse

No comments: