Three years ago the Heavy Music community lost one of the most charismatic, charming, and down to earth rockers in history. Ronnie James Dio is the emblem of Horns Up Rocks, not just because he popularized the "devil horns" (the Horns Up Rocks logo), but also because he was one of the most humble musicians ever. Not one person that had the privilege to meet Dio has one bad thing to say about him and always comment on what a great role model he was. Any musician out there reading this, should take note of Ronnie James Dio, a legend that will never be forgotten and will keep influencing musicians forever.
Here are some facts about the late great Ronnie James Dio:
- RJD was an Italian-American Heavy Metal vocalist and songwriter.
- He performed with: Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Heaven & Hell, and his band Dio.
- Considered the most powerful singer in Heavy Metal history.
- Ranked as one of the greatest Rock vocalists of all time.
- Credited with popularizing the "devil horns" hand gesture in Metal culture.
- Prior to his death he was collaborating with Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, and Vinny Appice, on a new Heaven & Hell album, which would have been the following to "The Devil You Know", released on April 28, 2009.
- Dio died of stomach cancer on May 16, 2010.
- One of the last songs he recorded was titled "Metal Will Never Die".
The last interview that Ronnie James Dio ever did:
The last public appearance of Ronnie James Dio:
Horns Up Rocks interview with Wendy Dio (wife of RJD) & Geezer Butler (band-mate of RJD):
Horns Up Rocks interview with Dean Schachtel (RJD's right hand man)
Ronnie James Dio Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund