Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: Horns Up Rocks does not consciously breach any copyright regulations. If you are a holder and would like something to be removed from our site, please email us at info@hornsuprocks.com and we will gladly oblige.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

THINNING THE HERD Are Streaming Their NEW Album 'Freedom From The Known'


Talk about persevering! Last year, right after THINNING THE HERD completed the recording sessions for their NEW album 'Freedom From The Known', their drummer Rick Cimato passed away after being involved in a massive car accident (Details HERE). After contemplating retirement, the band decided to move forward and to release their unique blend of music.

TTH recorded the album with acclaimed producer Steve Albini (NIRVANA) last summer and it was not an easy task. Here is what the bands leader Gavin Spielman had to say about presenting the massed with 'Freedom From The Known'.


"This record (Freedom From the Known) was written over several years, after going through a bunch of friendships and lineup changes – I knew I had to create a record reflecting my acceptance of working alone in music, in becoming a bandleader and not a team member. After a trip to Alaska in 2011, I found I had written Freedom From the Known – and came back hopeful to record with Steve Albini – I was already booking a tour, when the band fell apart.

My drummer Ben decided it was time to go back to school, while my bassist Nick – (who is one of the most amazing guitarists in New York, and now plays in the L.I. band Moontooth), who was just filling in and wound up staying for 2 years – got swept up by a Brooklyn Hipster band for a European tour. That night I went out drinking and met Wes – who has been playing Bass for TTH since, he also mixed the record. The next day Rick Cimato called me knowing I was looking for a drummer – and TTH 2.0 was formed. It was that easy, I did not sweat over the lineup change – and subsequently opened myself up to record Freedom From the Known with inspiration – with people who wanted to play it. All the music was already written by the time Rick and Wes entered the band – and this makes me proud to be able to create something worthy of other peoples time and money.

When we finished recording and mastering Rick died. I was going to pull the plug – but the record and my love for life pulled me to completing this thing. The message in this record, before Rick died – was to engage the Unknown, to go the path not usually taken. I trust in light and sound, in music and love, as well as darkness and death – and hope to put this into the music.

Since then we have moved on – Wes is still playing bass, and Garth Macaleavey is on drums. Garth also plays guitar and writes music. One funny thing is – Garths old bassist was also pilfered – by the same hipster that took mine.

The band sounds better than ever now. The live shows and rehearsals are super tight. I am looking forward to this being the final shift in rolls – and the best lineup possible."


Listen to 'Freedom From The Known' HERE!


Related links:
Thinning The Herd
Rick Cimato's memorial page

No comments: