Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: Horns Up Rocks does not consciously breach any copyright regulations. If you are a holder and would like something to be removed from our site, please email us at info@hornsuprocks.com and we will gladly oblige.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

COREY TAYLOR Thinks That "Technology Is So Badly Ruining Music"



The wait it over! STONE SOUR's NEW album entitled 'House Of Gold & Bones - Part 1' is available now via Roadrunner Records. Right now, you can feed your ears some NEW music from the band that Corey Taylor and Jim Root created before joining SLIPKNOT, thanks to AOL Music. Click HERE to listen to the NEW Stone Sour album!

In celebration of the release of STONE SOUR's latest batch of music, Jonathan Barkan of Bloody Disgusting recently conducted an interview with vocalist Corey Taylor. Here are a few parts of the interview:

Bloody Disgusting: What's your take on the musical styles of today versus the styles 5 years ago, 10 years ago, maybe even further than that?

Corey: It's kind of depressing, man. [laughs] It really is. There's so much that's just glossed over these days. It's almost like this weird cross between the '60s and the '80s. It's like singles were very big in the '60s. And then all the really weird, crappy, forced-upon pop music of the '80s. So now you've got people who don't really have the skills, because technology hides it, going out and putting these crappy singles out, and because that's all there really is, people basically eat it like hamburgers. It's become very, very commercialized. Which wouldn't bother me as much if people actually had talent. When I listen to something and the first thing I notice is that it's been turned into crap, I shut it off and throw it out the window of my car. Like it's the most offensive thing to me. I was just having this conversation last night because the Grammys were on, and I would say 3 out of 4 people nominated were all Auto-Tune artists. At that point, you shouldn't be allowed to be nominated in anything that has a vocal category. You should be nominated in an instrumental category because the computer did all the work for you. If you sound more like a keyboard than a human being, you shouldn't be allowed to walk away with one of those trophies. Of course I'm in the minority when it comes to that, which pisses me off even further.

Bloody Disgusting: So, do you feel that today's teenage generation is lazy or easily persuaded and how to do you think that bodes for the future of the industry and the future of music itself?

Corey: I think you're always gonna have half the generation that's lazy. But I think it makes the other half work that much harder. I think this generation that's growing up really enjoying this pop music is gonna be the same as the people who grew up really liking Rick Astley. It's passing fancy, as far as music goes. But I think because technology is so badly ruining music, it just breeds a generation that's going to be completely 180 [degrees] from that. I think the hungrier generation is just going to completely destroy any thought of trying that. I think we're gonna have a lot more home grown rock 'n' roll coming out soon. I'm hoping. Between the Auto-Tune pop and all these fucking hipster indie bands who are on every commercial, it's kind of depressing in music right now. But, I think it's kind of like me. When I was growing up in the '80s, a lot of that pop shit was just like, "What is this?" And then I found my music in the thrash scene, in the hardcore punk scene, so I had that background and that made me want to make the sort of music I make today. So I think that half of the generation is going to come to the surface in the next five years.

Bloody Disgusting: So how has the work that you've done with SLIPKNOT and STONE SOUR reflected what music means to you?

Corey: I guess it's reflected in the fact that I can still do it. If I hit a flat note, you're gonna hear it. I'm really proud of the fact that anywhere, at any time, I can make music. A lot of people can't do that. I just did a tour where it was basically just me and a guitar, and if I fucked up, I totally knew. And I let the audience know. I think the human side is reflected in the music I make, both with SLIPKNOT and STONE SOUR. You have to have that. For all the machines out there, you have to have a soul. You have to have some place to come back. And I know there's a lot of metal bands that use technology to hide shit because 9 times out of 10 you can't tell one band from another because of how it's mixed, because of how the drums are being portrayed, because of how stock the guitars sound. So I know it's a problem that really infects every facet of the industry. But for every 9 of those bands, there's a band like SLIPKNOT or STONE SOUR that really tries to stand apart. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't. So, for me, the way I make music is just a reflection of how I think music should be made. Where you sit in a studio, and you make music, and you use technology to your advantage, not to hide all the glaring mistakes.

Read the rest of the interview HERE!


'House Of Gold & Bones - Part 1'  is being released two years after the band's most recent longplayer 'Audio Secrecy', which debuted at position No. 6 on the Billboard chart and No. 1 on the U.S. iTunes Rock Album chart. It scored the highest international debuts of the band’s career, including Top 5 charts in Germany, Japan and Austria, and Top 10 in the U.K. and Australia.

'House of Gold & Bones - Part 1' track listing:

01. Gone Sovereign
02. Absolute Zero
03. A Rumor Of Skin
04. The Travellers Part 1
05. Tired
06. RU486
07. My Name Is Allen
08. Taciturn
09. Influence Of A Drowsy God
10. The Travellers Part 2
11. Last Of The Real

Stone Sour recently announced two intimate hometown shows October 28 and 29th, both of which sold out in minutes. The band has also confirmed the first leg of a massive global tour push to support House of Gold & Bones, playing shows on five continents so far, with many more to come.  

Stone Sour tour dates are as follows:

Nov 02 – MEXICO, MX - Maquinaria Festival
Nov 04 – GUADALAJARA, MX - Maquinaria Festival
Nov 06 – ASUNCION, PY - Maquinaria Festival
Nov 08 – BUENOS AIRES, AR - Maquinaria Festival
Sat Nov 10 – SANTIAGO, CHILE – Las Vizcachas
Sun 25th Nov – PARIS, FR– Bataclan
Mon 26th Nov – MILAN, IT – Alcatraz (with special guests Papa Roach)
Thu 29th Nov – LUDWIGSBURG, DE – Arena (with special guests Papa Roach)
Fri 30th Nov – VIENNA, AU – Gasometer (with special guests Papa Roach)
Sun 2nd Dec – MUNICH, DE – Zenith (with special guests Papa Roach)
Mon 3rd Dec – OFFENBACH, DE – Stadthalle (with special guests Papa Roach)
Tue 4th Dec – BERLIN, DE – Huxleys (with special guests Papa Roach)
Thu 6th Dec – OBERHAUSEN, DE – Turbinenhalle (with special guests Papa Roach)
Fri 7th Dec – AMSTERDAM, NE – Melkweg (with special guests Papa Roach)
Sat 8th Dec – TORHOUT, BE – De Mast (with special guests Papa Roach)
Mon 10th Dec – LONDON, UK – O2 Brixton Academy (with special guests Papa Roach)
Mon 11th Dec – LONDON, UK – O2 Brixton Academy (with special guests Papa Roach)
Thu 13th Dec – MANCHESTER, UK – Apollo
Fri 14th Dec – WOLVERHAMPTON, UK – Civic Hall
Sat 15th Dec – BOURNEMOUTH, UK – O2 Academy
Mon 17th Dec – COPENHAGEN, DK – Vega
Tue 18th Dec – OSLO, NO – Rockefeller
Wed 19th Dec – STOCKHOLM, SE – Annexet
Sat February 23, 2013 – BRISBANE, AUS (Soundwave)
Sun February 24 – SYDNEY, AUS (Soundwave)
Fri March 1 – MELBOURNE, AUS (Soundwave)
Sat March 2 – ADELAIDE, AUS (Soundwave)
Mon March 4 – PERTH, AUS (Soundwave)

Related links:
Stone Sour's Official Site
Stone Sour on Facebook
Stone Sour on MySpace

No comments: