DISCLAIMER: Horns Up Rocks does not consciously breach any copyright regulations. If you are a holder and would like something to be removed from our site, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will gladly oblige.
Saturday, December 31, 2011
Baton Rouge-based sludge outfit Thou will tour alongside The Body for the entire trek, and killer regional acts like Christian Mistress, Brainoil and more will join on specific dates.
The Body January Tour with Thou:
- 1/06/2012 1919 Hemphill - Fort Worth, TX
- 1/07/2012 Peace and Justice Center - Albuquerque, NM
- 1/08/2012 Yayo Taco - Las Vegas, NV
- 1/09/2012 1234Go! Records - Oakland, CA
- 1/10/2012 Backspace - Portland, OR
- 1/11/2012 Beech House - Portland, OR (1pm matinee)
- 1/11/2012 The Black Lodge - Seattle, WA
- 1/12/2012 Capital Theatre Backstage - Olympia, WA w/ Christian Mistress
- 1/13/2012 Burial Grounds - Salem, OR
- 1/14/2012 924 Gilman Street - Berkeley, CA w/ Brainoil
- 1/15/2012 Submission - San Francisco, CA w/ Brainoil
- 1/16/2012 Pioneer - Santa Cruz CA
- 1/17/2012 The Smell - Los Angeles, CA
- 1/18/2012 Bica - Tijuana, Mexico
- 1/19/2012 house show - Rosarito, Mexico
- 1/20/2012 Che Cafe - San Diego, CA
- 1/21/2012 The Trunkspace - Phoenix, AZ
- 1/22/2012 The Train Yard - Las Cruces, NM
- 1/23/2012 Sons of Hermann Hall - Dallas, TX
The Body on MySpace
The Body on Facebook
At A Loss Recordings
At A Loss Recordings on Facebook
The next video clip from The Devil's Blood's The Thousandfold Epicentre teaser series has been posted. "On the Wings of Gloria" is the second track from the Dutch occult collective's upcoming NEW full-length, scheduled for North American release on January 17, 2012 via Metal Blade Records.
The Thousandfold Epicentre has already reaped critical acclaim earning a 9/10 rating from Decibel Magazine who dubbed the offering "…an 11-track opus of maximum cosmic significance…” L.A. Weekly noted: “... The Devil's Blood bring to mind what Jefferson Airplane’s sound would have been if they abandoned their love of psychedelic drugs for good old-fashioned Satanism," while Noisecreep added, "On their sophomore album, Dutch act The Devil's Blood deliver NWOBHM-kissed riffs and melodic female vocals like its 1980 all over again."
Official Site of The Devil's Blood
The Devil's Blood on Facebook
The Devil's Blood on Metal Blade Records
Friday, December 30, 2011
2011 was an amazing year for the Heavy Music community, and Horns Up Rocks was able to capture a lot of historic moments. This highlights video showcases the 2011 Revolver Golden Gods Awards, the Big 4 concerts, The Rockstar Energy Mayhem Festival, The Summer Slaughter Tour, and dozens of national tours! So grab a cold one and enjoy!
We want to thank you ALL for the continuous support! \m/
Riotgod began in spirit through the conversations of Monster Magnet's Bob Pantella and Jim Baglino while out on tour as early as 2006. While touring with Monster Magnet provided them with some great times and afforded them the opportunity to perform around the world, each communicated a desire to express their own musical ideas.
During their time off the road, the pair began exploring the possibilities of creating their own band . Bob began to lay down some ideas to get the ball rolling come 2007. Bob while recording ideas that would become many of the songs on Riotgod's first CD, also sought out musicians that would fill out the guitar and vocal slots for the then nameless band. Contacted first was Garrett Sweeny for guitar.
For the vocals, many possible names had been discussed, including some notable voices familiar via other established bands yet in the end the local NJ connection would lead to Mark Sunshine.
The band began to look for shows locally booking in NYC, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The venues would range from nationally familiar clubs such as Asbury Park's Stone Pony to a gig in a Brooklyn loft. Touring for the band would be another story. Each member still fulfilled their other musical obligations, most notably Jim and Bob being called out to tour with Monster Magnet, However challenging it may always be owing to scheduling -- touring is a given.
Riotgod did its first mini-tour in 2009, hitting the road with fellow NJ rockers The Friends of Bill Wilson. Riotgod would visit the US mid-west and Canada, playing venues such as Chicago's Double Door, Detroit's Blondies, Toronto's Bovine Sex Club as well as some lesser known colorful establishments along the way.
Riotgod is now back - with their second album. More straight, more rock, more stoner - more Riotgod.
'Invisible Empire' Track Listing:
4. Slow Death
6. Gas Station Roses
7. Tomorrow`s Today
8. Saving It Up
9. Loosily Bound
11. Hollow Mirror
Click here to listen to Riotgod's "Firebrand"
The album can be pre-ordered HERE
The Obelisk is streaming the track "Fool" HERE
Official Site of Riotgod
Riotgod on Facebook
Tonight (December 30th), road warriors Clutch will be performing at the Starland Ballroom in Slayerville, New Jersey, as part of their annual holiday shows. Support for this not-to-be-missed concert, will come from Corrosion of Conformity and Kyng. Tomorrow, Clutch, C.O.C. and Kyng will be culminating 2011 with an epic New Year's Eve performance at the famed Trocadero in Philadelphia, PA.
Official Site of Clutch
Thursday, December 29, 2011
So how did they come across Barry Clayton? Well, the band came across a man who read ghost stories at Capital Radio and they felt that his voice was similar to the one of Vincent Price. That man was Barry Clayton.
According to the Islington Tribune, Clayton was a resident of Islington, which is in Greater London, England, for 40 years. He was a pioneer of black television and radio programming. He produced the "Black Londoners" radio program for the BBC — the first black daily radio program — from its first airing in 1974 until 1988 when he left to join Capital Radio.
Clayton's deep, booming voice will live forever in the minds of all Maiden fanatics, thanks to the intro for "The Number Of The Beast":
"Woe to You Oh Earth and Sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding
Reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty six."
Rest In Peace Clayton! Our hearts got out to your family, friends, and rest assured that your voice will live forever!
Official Site of Iron Maiden
Ohio metallers CHIMAIRA have released the following statement, regarding the future of the band:
"Early in July, we were informed that Rob Arnold [guitar] and Matt DeVries [guitar] would be leaving Chimaira at the end of 2011. Of course, this was a huge blow, but there were no hard feelings. We understand that life invades art, everything runs its course, and we have to take different paths. We respect their decision and wish them only the best. We made heavy metal history together and that is all that matters at the end of the day. 'Chimaira Christmas 12' will be their last show, and we've been preparing to make it one that you'll never forget.
"We are proud to announce the addition of Matt Szlachta (formerly in Dirge Within) and Jeremy Creamer (Dååth) to Chimaira. The plan was to build an undeniable string section and we have done just that. Jeremy will be pounding on the bass, and Matt shredding alongside Emil on guitar.
"As a way to say hello to the Chimaira fans, Jeremy recently remixed a couple of tracks from The Age Of Hell. Go here and download the FREE EP and listen to the Allinaline mixes. (We’d also like to thank Dubba Jonny for remixing Year Of The Snake!)
"CCXII marks the end of an era, but it’s also the start of a new chapter. We look forward to 2012. Thank you all for your overwhelming, and continuous support."
- Mark, Emil, Matt, Z, Austin, and Jeremy (Chimaira 2012)
'Chimaira Christmas 12' will take place tomorrow (December 30th) at the House Of Blues in Cleveland, Ohio.
Click to order Chimaira's "The Age Of Hell" on iTunes
E One Music
One of the most arduous tasks that we have to put up with year after year, is selecting our "best of" lists. When the calendar hits the month of December, we usually have a good idea of which albums should be on our "best of" lists. However, instead of applying the typical method that most outlets out there use, which is usually based on their first impressions. We went back and listened to over 50 albums that were released in 2011, and reanalyzed our tentative list very carefully. This took a lot of our time, but we wanted to compile what we believe are twenty albums that made 2011 heavy, exciting, and very dangerous. Here you go!
20) Lies Beneath - "Death Of The American Dream"
19) Chimaira - "The Age Of Hell"
18) Kittie - "I've Failed You"
17) Charred Walls Of The Damned - "Cold Winds On Timeless Days"
16) Generation Kill - "Red, White and Blood
15) Unearth - "Darkness In The Light"
14) Ikillya - "Recon"
13) No Remission - "Through Blackened Skies"
12) The Black Dahilia Murder - "Ritual"
11) DevilDriver - "Beast"
10) Revocation - "Chaos Of Forms"
9) Jasta - "Jasta"
8) Crowbar - "Sever The Wicked Hand"
7) A Pale Horse Named Death - "And Hell Will Follow With Me"
6) Cavalera Conspiracy - "Blunt Force Trauma"
5) Arch Enemy - "Khaos Legions"
4) Vildhjarta - "masstaden"
3) Amon Amarth - "Surtur Rising"
2) Machine Head - "Unto The Locust"
1) Anthrax - "Worship Music"
Sirius XM's Liquid Metal (formerly known as Hard Attack) is the number one Heavy Metal radio station in the world! The work Jose Mangin and crew have done in the last decade has taken Heavy Metal to a NEW level of confidence and power. Year after year they work very hard in bringing the headbangers of the world the best music on and off the planet. Without further due, here is the Sirius XM Liquid Metal 'Top Shelf 2011 Countdown'!
20. Low Road - Rat
19. Jasta - Mourn The Illusion
18. Morbid Angel - Existo Vulgore
17. Chimaira - Trigger Finger
16. Deicide - Save Your
15. Suicide Silence - Human Violence
14. Decapitated - 404
13. Megadeth - Never Dead
12. Unearth - Watch It Burn
11. All Shall Perish - Divine Illusion
10. Kyng - Trails In Veins
09. Crowbar - The Cemetery Angels
08. Mastodon - Black Tongue
07. Kvelertak - Utrydd Dei Svake
06. Cavalera Conspiracy - Warlord
05. Black Dahlia Murder - Moonlight Equilibrium
04. Amon Amarth - War Of The Gods
03. Anthrax - Fight Em Till You Can't
02. DevilDriver - Blur
01. Machine Head - Locust
Sign up for a FREE subscription today and let Liquid Metal proof to you that they are the elite when it comes to Heavy Metal radio! Try Liquid Metal for FREE
Black N' Blue Productions has announced that Madball will be ringing in the new year with a one-off hometown show! The event will take place on Friday, January 20th at The Gramercy Theatre in New York City! Joining Madball will be:
- Maximum Penalty
- Dead End Path
- Suburban Scum
- The Last Stand
The show will start at 7:00 PM, and it is only $16.00 (All Ages).
Presale tix can be found by clicking here.
*** THIS SHOW WILL BE RECORDED, BOTH VIDEO AND AUDIO, FOR A POSSIBLE UPCOMING LIVE RECORD ***
Presale tix can be found by clicking here
Madball on MySpace
Black N Blue Productions
Wednesday, December 28, 2011
Dean Guitars is the only company to date to give the global guitar community an all-access ticket to NAMM with a multi-camera, real-time HD webcast. Exclusive technology partnerships with Livestream.com and Newtek Tricaster will allow viewers to interact via Facebook and Twitter with the Dean crew. (Over 100,000 viewers from 23 countries watched the 2011 Dean NAMM webcast!).
2012 NAMM webcast highlights will include a first-hand look at Dean's new 35th anniversary USA custom guitars, footage from the Dean NAMM JAM with performances by Testament, Jackyl, Vinnie Moore and Wayne Static, an impressive schedule of artist interviews, live contests, on-air guitar sales and much more. The DEAN TV team will produce over 20 hours of streaming live NAMM action, Jan 20 - 22 at deanguitars.com/webcast.
SEE THE 2012 DEAN GUITARS NAMM SHOW IN STREAMING HD AT DEANGUITARS.COM/WEBCAST on January 20-22, 2012!
Dean Guitars at NAMM
As we all know, the state of the music industry is at an all-time low and artists are struggling more than ever. One might think that a successful band like Trivium would be OK, and not get affected by low record sales since they count with a devoted fanbase. But, as you can see below Trivium didn't catch a break from the brutal state of the music industry.
Trivium frontman Matt Heafy recently twitted:
"Dear state of the music industry, thanks a heap for this massive royalty check".
Trivium unleashed their fifth studio album titled "In Waves" on August 9th via Roadrunner Records and there promise of it being "the most complete, well thought out, best planned Trivium album" to date, was definitely true! Ever since the release of "In Waves", the band has been crossing into yet another level within the Heavy Music spectrum. In fact, the album sold 22,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release and landed at position No. 13 on The Billboard 200 chart — the highest U.S. chart entry of the band's career.
Here is the exclusive interview we did with Corey and Paolo Gregoletto from Trivum at these years Rockstar Energy Mayhem Festival, prior to the release of 'In Waves'!
Trivium recently debuted the video for "Built to Fall" from their critically acclaimed new album In Waves.
This January, Trivium will hitting the roads of North America with In Flames and Kyng, here are the tour dates:
- Jan. 12: The Rave - Milwaukee, WI
- Jan. 13: Royal Oak Music Theatre - Royal Oak, MI
- Jan. 14: Rams Head Live - Baltimore, MD
- Jan. 15: Trocadero - Philadelphia, PA
- Jan. 17: The Ritz Ybor - Ybor City, FL
- Jan. 18: Center Stage - Atlanta, GA
- Jan. 20: Warehouse Live Ballroom - Houston, TX
- Jan. 21: Emo's East - Austin, TX
- Jan. 22: Granada Theater - Dallas, TX
- Jan. 24: First Avenue - Minneapolis, MN
- Jan. 25: Burton Cummings - Winnipeg, MA
- Jan. 27: Edmonton Events Centre - Edmonton, AB
- Jan. 28: MacEwan Hall Ballroom - Calgary, AB
- Jan. 31: Commodore Ballroom - Vancouver, BC
- Feb. 01: Roseland Theatre - Portland, OR
- Feb. 02: Knitting Factory Concert House - Boise, ID
- Feb. 03: Showbox SODO - Seattle, WA
- Feb. 04: Knitting Factory Concert House - Spokane, WA
- Feb. 06: The Regency Ballroom - San Francisco, CA
- Feb. 07: Wiltern Theatre - Los Angeles, CA
- Feb. 08: The Marquee - Tempe, AZ
- Feb. 09: Sunshine Theater - Albuquerque, NM
- Feb. 10: The Summit Music Hall - Denver, CO
- Feb. 11: The Beaumont Club - Kansas City, MO
- Feb. 13: House of Blues - Cleveland, OH
- Feb. 14: Sound Academy - Toronto, ON
- Feb. 15: Metropolis - Montreal, QC
- Feb. 17: The Palladium - Worcester, MA
- Feb. 18: Best Buy Theater - New York, NY
- Feb. 19: Stage AE - Pittsburgh, PA
- Feb. 21: House of Blues - Chicago, IL
Matt Heafy on Twitter
Hetfield was taking a moped ride with his son Castor in the countryside of Punta Del Este when a group of paparazzi sighted Hetfield and son, and would not leave them alone! As a result, Hetfield took it upon himself to try and stop them by confronting a few and even threw some rocks at some out of frustration.
We understand that Paparazzi have to feed their families, but why not just take a few pictures and f&*k off?!
Pictures courtesy of: Starfine.com
Red Fang have confirmed a string of European headlining dates to coincide with their tour of Europe with Mastodon. A complete list of tour dates is listed below.
Red Fang will be taking the stage again in their hometown of Portland, OR this New Year's Eve at Star Theater. For more information and to purchase tickets, see the link below.
The band recently finished work on a NEW video for the song "Hank Is Dead" with director extraordinaire, Whitey McConnaughy. Look for the video to premiere very soon. Stills from the video shoot can be seen below.
The band held an air guitar competition to coincide with the video shoot. Check out the hilarious winning video below.
Red Fang are streaming 'Murder The Mountains' in its entirety below. The band recorded 'Murder The Mountains' with The Decemberists' Chris Funk and the album was mixed by three-time Grammy Award winner Vance Powell (White Stripes, The Raconterus). 'Murder The Mountains' is now available on CD, 12" vinyl, and deluxe digital.
Red Fang European Tour with Mastodon.
- 1/11: FIN, Tampere at Pakkahuone
- 1/12: FIN, Helsinki at Circus
- 1/14: SWE, Stockholm at The Annex
- 1/15: NOR, Oslo at Sentrum Stage
- 1/16: DEN, Copenhagen at VEGA
- 1/17: DEN, Aarhus at Voxhall
- 1/18: GER, Bremen Tower*
- 1/19: BEL, Brussels at Encienne Belgique
- 1/20: FRA, Paris at Le Bataclan
- 1/21 SPA, San Sebastian Mogambo*
- 1/22: POR, Lisbon at Coliseum
- 1/23: SPA, Madrid at Joy Slava
- 1/24: SPA, Barcelona at Razzmatazz
- 1/25 FRA Toulouse Les Saints des Seines*
- 1/26: ITA, Milan venue tba
- 1/27 GER, Stuttgart Juha West*
- 1/28: SWI, Zurich at Xtra
- 1/29: GER, Frankfurt at Batschkapp
- 1/30: GER, Munich Backstage at Halle
- 1/31: GER, Berlin at C-Club
- 2/1 GER, Osnabruck Bastard Club*
- 2/2: GER, Cologne at Essigfabrik
- 2/3: HOL, Tilburg at 013
- 2/5: ENG, Bristol at Academy
- 2/6: ENG, Manchester at Academy
- 2/7: SCO, Glasgow at Barrowland
- 2/9: Norwich, UEA
- 2/10: ENG, Birmingham at Institute
- 2/11: ENG, London at Brixton Academy
*Denotes headlining dates*
Official Site of Red Fang
Red Fang on Facebook
Official Site Relapse Records
Red Fang on iTunes
Today (December 28th), marks the second death anniversary of James Owen Sullivan (A.K.A. The Rev). "The Rev" co-founded Avenged Sevenfold in 1999 and quickly became one of the most respected and renowned drummers in the Heavy Music world. Unfortunately, his career was cut short when he passed away on December 28, 2009 from an acute polydrug intoxication at the young age of 28. On January 5, 2010, a private funeral was held for "The Rev", and a day later he was buried in Huntington Beach, California. Avenged Sevenfold dedicated their fifth album, 'Nightmare', to Sullivan. RIP Jimmy, we all miss you!
“His music was very challenging and dangerous, but the Rev was always just a down-to-earth guy that was very humble, with no ego. He always treated me with the ultimate respect and I always enjoyed his presence. He was great.” - Vinnie Paul (Pantera, Damageplan & Hellyeah)
Official Site of Avenged Sevenfold
Avenged Sevenfold on MySpace
The Empire Shall Fall recently unleashed their sophomore EP entitled 'Volume 1: Solar Plexus' and the response has been massive. This is the first installment of a 3 part project they have been working on in order to keep feeding their hungry fans some NEW music as often as possible. You can listen to it now at the link below, your ears will thank you forever!
Former Killswitch Engage frontman Jesse Leach and company, will be taking center stage at St. Vitus Bar in Brooklyn, NY on Friday, January 6, 2012. This will be the first time that the band will be performing their NEW songs in front of a live audience and it is all thanks to Jefferson Avenue Productions. Joining them will be:
- East of the Wall
- Alekhine's Gun
- Fashion Week
+ Hosted & DJed by Jo Schüftan from Horns Up Rocks!
- Date/time: Friday, January 6th at 7 PM.
- Cost: $10 in advance, $12 at the door.
- Location: Saint Vitus Bar, 1120 Manhattan Avenue, Greenpoint, New York
- Click here to RSVP
- Click here to purchase tickets now!
Additional tour dates:
- January 7th at the Irish American Association, in Kearny, NJ
- January 13th at the Fete, in Providence RI
- January 14th at the Great Scott, in Boston, MA
Click here to listen to the NEW EP from The Empire Shall Fall 'Volume 1: Solar Plexus'
Click here to purchase the NEW EP from The Empire Shall Fall 'Volume 1: Solar Plexus'
Official site of The Empire Shall Fall
The Empire Shall Fall on Facebook
The Empire Shall Fall on Twitter