Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: Horns Up Rocks does not consciously breach any copyright regulations. If you are a holder and would like something to be removed from our site, please email us at info@hornsuprocks.com and we will gladly oblige.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Based On A True Story

If my life would be a DVD, a Tape or a Vinyl, and I would rewind it back to 1997 when I discovered Sick Of It All. I wouldn't need to hit pause. Simply because while many of my school friends (who I used to head bang with) have given up on heavy music, I am still holding the flag way up high and planning to do so for the rest of my life. I often face the question of when I am going to grow out of this music. Grow out of it? This is my lifeline, not just a trend that I bought into when I was a teenager. People have dared to say that Heavy Music is dead! This is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard! Proof of that is the amazing performance that Sick Of It All displayed on their CD Release show for their latest album titled "Based On A True Story."

The Gramercy (Blender Theater) was more packed than a church on Good Friday. It was hard to move inside the venue, but I didn’t expect anything else. After all, Sick Of It All are one of New York's finest musical exports in history. During their 24 year career Sick Of It All has kept their musical integrity untouched and have never sounded dated. They are also one of the most energetic bands when it comes to their live performances.

When I met their singer Lou Koller at the Black N Blue Bowl, it also became evident that they are really good people. To the point that when he saw me at The Gramercy, he was all about having me exclusively interview him right after their epic show. Interviewing one of my favorite vocalists of all time backstage was extremely surreal. Specially, on their CD Release show, this was also their World Tour kickoff. And what better place than New York City, the city that gave birth to them and to New York Hardcore.


This piece proofs that if you fight for your dreams to come to life, they eventually will come to life. When I was 16 years old, I would have never thought that 13 years later I would be interviewing Lou Koller, one of the most charismatic and realest dudes I have ever met. So if I can inspire one thing through Horns Up Rocks, is to follow your dreams, follow your passion and don't ever stop believing in yourself. As Sick Of It All says on their song "Lifeline", which is part of Based On A True Story: "Hold on to your passion, keep it alive! It's your lifeline, never let go!"

Here is “Based On A True Story”, starring Lou Koller and Sick Of It All.



Related links:

SICK OF IT ALL on MySpace
SICK OF IT ALL official site
SICK OF IT ALL on Twitter

No comments: