Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: Horns Up Rocks does not consciously breach any copyright regulations. If you are a holder and would like something to be removed from our site, please email us at info@hornsuprocks.com and we will gladly oblige.

Monday, July 16, 2012

DEEP PURPLE's Jon Lord Passed Away Earlier Today; The Heavy Music Community Reacts!

As previously reported, Jon Lord of Deep Purple died earlier today at the age of 71. The co-founder and keyboard player with the Heavy Metal pioneers passed after suffering a pulmonary embolism. Earlier this year, Lord was diagnosed as suffering from pancreatic cancer, a normally swiftly developing and deadly form of cancer. Lord was was surrounded by his family at the London Clinic. Jon Lord is survived by his wife Vickie and two daughters — Amy and Sara (please keep them in your thoughts and prayers).

Here is what the Heavy Music community had to say about this very sad news:

"I am deeply saddened about the passing of Jon Lord. I am proud and humbled to have known him both personally and professionally, and blessed to share a special time with him. He was a true and gifted original, a gentleman of the industry, and he shall be greatly missed! My sincerest sympathies to his family and relatives and to all of us who have lost one of the great musicians of our time! R.I.P., Jon... May God hold you in his hands." - Joe Lynn Turner (DEEP PURPLE, RAINBOW, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN)

"It was an absolute joy and pleasure for me to know him and to work alongside him. He is missed already." - David Coverdale (WHITESNAKE)

"[I was] very sad to hear of [former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist] Jon's [Lord] death, following his battle with the demon cancer. [He was] one of the great musicians of my generation. Tony Iommi [BLACK SABBATH guitarist] recently worked with Jon, and said what a lovely bloke he was. I met him a few times, but never got to work with him. Blessings." - Geezer Butler (BLACK SABBATH)

"[It's a] sad day in rock and roll; Jon Lord has passed on. One of the biggest, baddest, heaviest sounds in heavy metal. One if a kind." - SLASH

"RIP the great Jon Lord, DEEP PURPLE's cornerstone/keyboardist. So many great, great songs and that incredible SOUND of his! Thank you." - Tom Morello (RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE)

"My condolences to Jon Lord's family, fans and friends on his passing. Jon, thank you for being a part of the soundtrack of my life." - Rudy Sarzo (OZZY OSBOURNE, QUIET RIOT, WHITESNAKE, DIO)

"[I was] very sad to hear of [former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist] Jon's [Lord] death, following his battle with the demon cancer. [He was] one of the great musicians of my generation. Tony Iommi [BLACK SABBATH guitarist] recently worked with Jon, and said what a lovely bloke he was. I met him a few times, but never got to work with him. Blessings." - Peter Baltes (ACCEPT)

"I'm very sad to hear about the passing of Jon Lord. He was an inspiration to me!" - Jordan Rudess (DREAM THEATER)

"Very sad news about the great Jon Lord. [He was] one of my biggest influences and idols growing up. RIP." - Adam Wakeman (OZZY OSBOURNE)

"Love and respect to the legendary Jon Lord. Condolences to his family. His mark in contemporary music is long and permanent. R.I.P." - Damon Johnson (THIN LIZZY, ALICE COOPER, BROTHER CANE)

"Wow, I can't believe Jon Lord passed away today. His style of playing the organ set the standard by which every rock band with organ lived by. A real legend and a real star. RIP, Jon!" - Tracii Guns (L.A. GUNS)

"It is with great shock and deep sadness that I was informed of the loss of a dear friend and great musician, Jon Lord. You brought fun, laughter, silliness and light with your sense of humor to everything you worked on, you changed the world of rock with your unique take on it all. I send my love, thoughts, and deepest sympathy to his family. God bless you, Jon. [You will be] forever in our hearts." - Graham Bonnet (RAINBOW, MICHAEL SCHENKER GROUP, ALCATRAZZ, IMPELLITTERI)

More about this breaking story HERE!

Related links:
Jon Lord's Official Site
Deep Purple's Official Site

No comments: